Dr. med. Alexandra Borchert
Dr. med. A. Borchert absolved her clinical training and achieved her certificates in Neurology at the University Hospital of Münster, Germany and worked there as a consultant until 2013. She obtained her doctoral degree in MRI and CT imaging from the University Hospital Münster, Institute of Radiology.
- Special qualification for nerve and muscle ultrasound:
- In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Borchert has developed a scientific interest for diseases of the peripheral nerves and the use of diagnostic nerve and muscle ultrasound and is certified by DEGUM and DGKN. As an author and co-author, she has contributed to numerous scientific publications as wel as book chapters and is actively involved in training and development events.
- Dr Borchert has been perforning nerve ultrasound since 2007 and has started collecting reference values for peripheral nerves in ultrasound in different age categories and genders, examining pediatric patients with CMT I A and other hereditary polyneuropathies. Dr. Borchert instituted the referral centre for “Nerve and Muscle Ultrasound” at the University Hospital Münster in collaboration with Prof. Dr. Matthias Schilling. This was followed by the establishment of the method in routine diagnostics and the implementation of clinical studies on adults and children.
- After an internship at the department of Dott. Luca Padua (Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Elettromiografia e Ecografia neuromusculare Roma) in 2011 she dedicated herself extensively to the subject of nerve ultrasound of the brachial plexus. In 2012 she took part in the founding conference of the International Society of Peripheral Neuro-physiological imaging. Since 2013, she was employed as a senior physician at the AVK Vivantes Berlin, where she introduced the nerve and muscle ultrasound, and established a cooperation with the hand and trauma surgery and neurosurgery departments. Dr. Borchert contributed to the policy of the 2014 “Guidelines for Clinical Neurophysiology”, on the chapter on the use and technology of nerve and muscle ultrasound, (Eds. C. Bischoff and A. Straube).
- PD Dr. med. M. Becker and PD Dr. med. F. Lassner, Clinic for Plastic Surgery, Surgery of pheripheral nerves, reconstructive microsurgery, Hand Surgery, Pauwelsklinik Aachen, www.pauwelsklinik.de
Additional Qualifications and Certificates
- Certificate „Muscle- and Nerve Ultrasound“ DGKN/DEGUM (German Society of Clinical Neurophysiology and Functional Imaging/ German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine) since 2013
- EMG-Certificate DGKN
- Qualification „Subject-oriented genetic counceling“ (Medical Leicensure Board Germany)
- Ohm S, Borchert A, Mackert B.M.; Alemtuzumab related Listeria infections – a growing concern ? ECTRIMS Online Library. Ohm S. Oct 9, 2015; 116134
- Suess T, Borchert A, Meyer L, Marrek U, Mackert BM; Paraneoplastic neuromyotonia in a patient with Typ B1 thymoma; Klin Neurophysiol 2014; 45 – P50, DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1371263*
- Book chapter: guidelines of clinical neurophysiology Christian Bischoff, Andres Straube, Kohlhammer, 2014,
– Borchert A, Dittrich R, Schilling M: Examination techniques of muscles and nerves
– Borchert A, Ritter MA, Schilling M: Sonography of muscle and nerve
- Stanischewski D, Borchert A, Marziniak M, Arolt V, Kaestner F. Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis: an important differential diagnosis of catatonia in young psychiatric patients. Nervenarzt. 2013 Jul; 84(7): 856-9*
- Borchert A, Frese A, Kuhlmann T, Paulus W, Niederstadt T, Allkemper T, Young P, Schilling M; Mononeuropathy with fokal nerve hypertrophy, Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 42, March 2011: 87.*
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Preuth N, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Cross-sectional and longitudinal study of children with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Typ 1A: Examination via high resolution ultrasound of peripheral nervs; Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 42, March 2011: 39.*
- Review: Borchert A, Dittrich R., Ritter M, Ringelstein EB, Schilling M. Sonography of Peripheral Nervs. Klinische Neurophysiologie 2010;41:1-10.*
- Borchert A, Paulus W, Young P, Schilling M. High-resolution ultrasound in a severe peripheral neuropathy with intraneural perineurioma: a special case. Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 41, March 2010, S.64.*
- Borchert A, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Sonography of peripheral nervs in healthy children and young adults: reference values and age dependent comparison with electromyography. Aktuelle Neurologie; Volume 36, Sept. 2009: 186.*
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Diagnostic value of high-resolution sonography versus electromyography in children and juveniles with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease 1A. Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, Volume 14 (Suppl. 2), July 2009, 20.
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Diagnostic value of high-resolution sonography versus electromyography in children and juveniles with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Typ 1A. Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 40, March 2009: 65.*
- Borchert A, Möddel G, Schilling M; Teaching video neuroimaging: Paroxysmal kinesigenic dyskinesia, Neurology 2009.
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Diagnostic value of high-resolution sonography versus electromyography in CMT1A. Aktuelle Neurologie; Volume 35, Sept. 2008: 28*
*translated, german publication