Dr. med. Alexandra Borchert
Dr. med. A. Borchert absolved her clinical training and achieved her certificates in Neurology at the University Hospital of Münster, Germany and worked there as a consultant until 2013, since 2013 as Senior Physician, Clinic for Neurology and Stroke Unit, AVK Vivantes Berlin. She obtained her doctoral degree in MRI and CT imaging from the University Hospital Münster, Institute of Radiology. Since 2019 she has a private practice for Neurology with Neuromuscular Ultrasound in the Pauwels Clinic in Aachen.
- Special qualification for nerve and muscle ultrasound: In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Borchert has developed a scientific interest for diseases of the peripheral nerves and the use of diagnostic nerve and muscle ultrasound and is certified by DEGUM and DGKN. As an author and co-author, she has contributed to numerous scientific publications as well as book chapters and is actively involved in training and development events. Dr Borchert has been performing nerve ultrasound since 2007 examining chilren with CMT IA and other hereditary polyneuropathies and established this method in routine diagnostics. With the technical development of ultrasound, the field of application of neuromuscular ultrasound grew steadily. Dr. Borchert was involved in the implementation of clinical trials with adults and children and contributed to the policy of the 2014 “Guidelines for Clinical Neurophysiology”, on the chapter on the use and technology of nerve and muscle ultrasound, (Eds. C. Bischoff and A. Straube).
- PD Dr. med. M. Becker and PD Dr. med. F. Lassner, Clinic for Plastic Surgery, Surgery of pheripheral nerves, reconstructive microsurgery, Hand Surgery, Pauwelsklinik Aachen, www.pauwelsklinik.de
- Nens van Alfen, MD PhD, Associate Professor of Neurology, Medical director Clinical Neurophysiology laboratory, Radboudumc Nijmegen, The Netherlands, www.radboudumc.nl
- Prof. Dr. M. Schilling, deputy director, Clinic of Neurology, University Hospital Münster, leading the laboratory for clinical neurophysiology and neuromuscular ultrasound, www.ukm.de
- and others
Additional Qualifications and Certificates
- Certificate „Muscle- and Nerve Ultrasound“ DGKN/DEGUM (German Society of Clinical Neurophysiology and Functional Imaging/ German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine) since 2013
- EMG-Certificate DGKN
- Qualification „Subject-oriented genetic counceling“ (Medical Leicensure Board Germany)
- Review: Wijntjes J., Borchert A., van Alfen N. Nerve Ultrasound in Traumatic and Iatrogenic Peripheral Nerve Injury. Diagnostics 2021, 11(1), 30; doi: 10.3390/diagnostics11010030
- Ohm S, Borchert A, Mackert B.M.; Alemtuzumab related Listeria infections – a growing concern ? ECTRIMS Online Library. Ohm S. Oct 9, 2015; 116134
- Suess T, Borchert A, Meyer L, Marrek U, Mackert BM; Paraneoplastic neuromyotonia in a patient with Typ B1 thymoma; Klin Neurophysiol 2014; 45 – P50, DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1371263*
- Book chapter: guidelines of clinical neurophysiology Christian Bischoff, Andres Straube, Kohlhammer, 2014,
– Borchert A, Dittrich R, Schilling M: Examination techniques of muscles and nerves
– Borchert A, Ritter MA, Schilling M: Sonography of muscle and nerve
- Stanischewski D, Borchert A, Marziniak M, Arolt V, Kaestner F. Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis: an important differential diagnosis of catatonia in young psychiatric patients. Nervenarzt. 2013 Jul; 84(7): 856-9*
- Borchert A, Frese A, Kuhlmann T, Paulus W, Niederstadt T, Allkemper T, Young P, Schilling M; Mononeuropathy with fokal nerve hypertrophy, Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 42, March 2011: 87.*
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Preuth N, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Cross-sectional and longitudinal study of children with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Typ 1A: Examination via high resolution ultrasound of peripheral nervs; Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 42, March 2011: 39.*
- Review: Borchert A, Dittrich R., Ritter M, Ringelstein EB, Schilling M. Sonography of Peripheral Nervs. Klinische Neurophysiologie 2010;41:1-10.*
- Borchert A, Paulus W, Young P, Schilling M. High-resolution ultrasound in a severe peripheral neuropathy with intraneural perineurioma: a special case. Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 41, March 2010, S.64.*
- Borchert A, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Sonography of peripheral nervs in healthy children and young adults: reference values and age dependent comparison with electromyography. Aktuelle Neurologie; Volume 36, Sept. 2009: 186.*
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Diagnostic value of high-resolution sonography versus electromyography in children and juveniles with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease 1A. Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, Volume 14 (Suppl. 2), July 2009, 20.
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Diagnostic value of high-resolution sonography versus electromyography in children and juveniles with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Typ 1A. Klinische Neurophysiologie, Volume 40, March 2009: 65.*
- Borchert A, Möddel G, Schilling M; Teaching video neuroimaging: Paroxysmal kinesigenic dyskinesia, Neurology 2009.
- Borchert A, Schwartz O, Kurlemann G, Young P, Schilling M. Diagnostic value of high-resolution sonography versus electromyography in CMT1A. Aktuelle Neurologie; Volume 35, Sept. 2008: 28*
*translated, german publication